Sunday, August 12, 2007

Cooling down!

I've alluded to the hot weather out here, but today have decided to dedicate an entire blog entry to the topic.




I have over these summer months been reminded of two movie moments: In Biloxi Blues where the main character talks about the heat at his training station- "Its Africa hot! Tarzan couldn't stand this kind of hot!", and in Good Morning, Vietnam! when Robin Williams talks about it being hot:

What's the weather like out there?
"It's hot. Damn hot!
Real hot!
Hottest things is my shorts.
I could cook things in it.
A little crotch pot cooking."
Well, can you tell me what it feels like?
"Fool, it's hot! I told you again!
Were you born on the sun?
It's damn hot!
I saw-- It's so damn hot,
I saw little guys, their orange
robes burst into flames.
It's that hot!
Do you know what I'm talking about?"



Haven't seen anyone bursting in flames during the hottest part of the summer here (each culture has their own way of protesting...), but a couple of weeks ago, it was in the 130s, and it made my eyeballs feel like they were melting. Thankfully it has cooled down to around 115-120, so now its just dang hot, but not painfully so. And also, thankfully, I'm in a position which doesn't require me to stay out in it for interminable periods- I can always retreat to the comfort of air conditioning if I start to feel like I can't handle it. Kudos to the National Police Training Teams who are out there for much more of the fun. I'm hoping we're not being teased by a "cold snap". It is actually even pleasant in the wee hours of the morning, which makes the walks with Binksie that much more pleasant- we're not likely to melt, now.

No comments: