Monday, March 31, 2008

All Hail Davidson!

Davidson's Stephen Curry, center, tries a shot against Kansas' Sasha Kaun (24) during the first half of the NCAA Midwest Regional basketball final Sunday, March 30, 2008, in Detroit. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

Those who know me well know that I'm a basketball junkie. I play as much as I can, even though I play poorly after 3 ACL reconstructions and I spend far too much time with my face stuffed into bags of Doritos, the consequent weight gain limiting my 1 inch vertical. That's what the set shot from way downtown is for, I figure.

Some of my earliest childhood memories are watching ACC and NCAA basketball tournaments. One of the folks I enjoyed watching was Dell Curry, a lights out shooter from Va Tech who went on to a successful pro career as well. And now his son playing for Davidson College has been torching some very highly ranked opponents like Georgetown and Wisconsin. Davidson has previously been a pretty good basketball school, especially for a small liberal arts college, but it has been a while since they were making the news. I'd known them mostly for the fact that "Lefty" Driesell was their coach prior to moving on to Maryland and my dear ACC hoops world.

It was neat to read about this for a couple of other reasons beyond the link to my past. It is always fun to follow the underdog, and Davidson did well yesterday even in defeat. Additionally, Davidson is situated just a few miles south of Lowe's corporate headquarters, where I'll start working in a few months after this deployment. During the internship we did back in the summer of 2006, we actually went down there to enjoy the fourth of July fireworks demonstration. Bugs aside, it was fabulous. We didn't lose any children, and the fireworks were pretty good, too.

Davidson is situated in a beautiful area not much unlike the woodsy area where I grew up in Virginia, except this part of NC also has Lake Norman, an added bonus for water-related recreation activities.

No comments: