Thursday, October 18, 2007

I swoon for samoon

I'll get in one of these someday- I believe Christmas is my window of opportunity...

Yesterday we had our third VIP visit in the past week. Always a pleasure. 2 "principles"- an Iraqi National Police general and a U.S. Army general, both likable fellows. And 44, yes, 44 others who were easily classified as "hangers on". Like a plague of locusts they descend, entertain us, feed and fuel us! Ignoring the fact that BLP as a contractor is under no obligation to take care of any of these yahoos... Thankfully, BLP works with them and everything runs smoothly, as it usually does. And none of the extra visitors was overtly rude- just didn't have any reason to come that couldn't have been handled over a 10 minute phone call... as opposed to the risks taken in convoys, fuel and time costs, etc.

But they never stay long- most of them would not want to get stuck in a place with the limited infrastructure here. Most of them are not big fans of the "little house on the prairie" lifestyle we lead (he says from his blog without a trace of irony).

When time and interest allow, we drag them back to the world famous NNPA bakery for some fresh samoon bread. Aaaah, fresh samoon bread! I liked it so much, I went back there again this morning and watched them make up some more (they make about 3 per person per meal- probably over 20,000 samoons a day) and got some more.

"My" bakery- others visit- as you can tell by my belly- I live here...

This place was pretty hot over the summer...

1 comment:

Bassam Sebti said...

I swoon for samoon too!