Monday, April 14, 2008

Another good decision point for Iraqi leadership

Here's a chance for the country's government to send a message that they are not ruled by the religious leaders.

That Sadr calls for reinstatement of folks who refused to fight, or worse, went to the other side, sounds completely ridiculous from our western perspective- but I can understand it a bit more after a year here.

Regardless, to reinstate these guys would not strengthen the movement towards a national identity, and as I implied in an earlier post, weakens any sense of accountability.

Let us watch (I am now at this point a non-participant) as the country of Iraq tries to figure this one out. I wish the best to my brothers and sisters in arms still making the effort to lead Iraq towards peace and prosperity.

No comments: