Saturday, February 15, 2020

Another leadership nugget from a Charlotte Veterans Network luncheon- Charlotte Checkers coach Ryan Warsofsky

Back working at Lowe's Store Support Center (aka the Home Office, corporate, formerly known as the Customer Support Center), so I missed the luncheon this week, but as I cleaned out my pile of papers that accumulates as I go from one thing to another, came across a couple of notes from an earlier visit by Ryan Warsofsky, the 31 year old coach of the Charlotte Checkers, an AHL hockey team that has been performing well under his leadership. The following is one of the things he shared with us, that I really liked as a quote:

"You don't need a letter on your jersey to be a leader."


I may be wrong on this as a casual hockey fan, but I believe the letter on the jersey is a reference to letter "C" for the team captain. In other words, you can be a leader even without positional authority.

Coach W. gets to work with up and coming players as well as those past their prime trying to get back to the NHL. He seems to be figuring out how to help them play "the right way" while they still have individual goals and motives.

No comments: