Thursday, October 31, 2019

Indistractable, by Nir Eyal

So Nir has his own website to complement the book and the book has a very hands-on kind of feel to it. Ironically, I would be distracted from reading while I'd go check out stuff he'd suggested, or take actions such as those suggested (deleting apps that have no value and/or take up time and headspace).

I enjoyed the read, even if I didn't agree with everything Nir had to say- especially around motivations, but not a big deal on the disagreements. It reminded me of a good course I took while at Lowe's corporate a number of years ago called "Take Back Your Life", which primarily focused on maximizing your use of productivity tools in Microsoft Office- especially calendar, email, chat, etc, but Eyal's book is adapted to a world now where we are always connected via smartphones, which was not the case when I was taking the Microsoft course.

3.94 out of 5 on Goodreads

While authors using self-disclosure often works for me in connecting with the material, in this case every once in a while I'd find myself judging him, thinking, "man, this guy gets distracted way too easily." I then tell myself I must just be one of an older generation, because I am more than happy, when I want to unplug, to do just that. I have always been happy to go find a quiet place to work away from my desk if the desk is where I get interrupted. My phone's "do not disturb" button is almost always on, unless I am expecting some important communication to come through.

As I write this, Christine points out to me we're in a tornado watch. How about that? I missed that. I don't know that I'm always indistractable, as much as oblivious, but I find joy sometimes in either of those states!

No comments: