Sunday, July 11, 2010

Jerome E. Singer, Professor and Chairman

A memorial service was held for Dr. Singer on June 16 at USUHS in Bethesda, MD and I was able to make the long drive up to DC. Spent the night before at Bubba Ross's and then a morning session at the DC temple. Psychology students may recognize his name as he is the "Singer" in the Schachter-Singer 2 factor theory of emotion.



The memorial service was nicely done, and lots of folks shared positive experiences and feelings about a wonderful man. I like memorial services and other related events because they tend to bring out the best memories and positive comments. People generally behave themselves better than they otherwise would. I was able to reconnect with various friends and faculty during what was perhaps my first trip back to campus since I completed my work there back in 2002.

I didn't know his family well, but they participated fully in the service and I was able to send them a letter afterwards sharing some of my best memories of Dr. Singer, from his time as one of my instructors, as a member of my dissertation committee, and as the chair for the Department of Medical and Clinical Psychology at USUHS.

A comment that I've made frequently is that I enjoy spending time and working with smart people and good people. If I have to choose between those two groups, I'll pick the good people, but the best is when I get to work with people who are both good and smart. Jerry, you are one of those and I appreciate the opportunity I had to know you and learn from you. It was an honor.

No comments: