Friday, September 06, 2019

Amanda Carpenter's "Gaslighting America: Why We Love it When Trump Lies to Us"

This is clearly one of those "confirmation bias" reading selections. 

Others rated this one more highly than I would:
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/35068841-gaslighting-america

I guess I was hoping for some insights that were not readily apparent and covered frequently. Of course, much of what he does is so obvious, the most recent example being #Sharpiegate #SharpieTrump.

What she could have covered about what this gaslighting is doing now is distracting from more important things the administration is doing, relative to a whole laundry list of important issues: the use or misuse of funds, immigration and the wall, environmental protections, trade wars, and so on.

The most interesting part of the book- by far- for me:
I wonder if her coverage of the Cruz- Politifact dust up on pages 121-122 was done with a recognition that she and Cruz were engaging in one of Trump's favorite moves. Say something incendiary or on the edge, and when called on it, say it is a joke.... and then go back to "but here are the facts" and indicating it wasn't a joke, after all. Come on, Amanda, was Death to America Day a joke or not?  When she goes to Breitbart News to defend their humor, well, she's using Breitbart News, well-known for... well, not for a strong reliance on facts, anyway.

I don't love it when powerful people lie to me. I find it odd that people argue they don't look for morality and integrity in their leaders, they just want someone who gets stuff done. If the person has no integrity, can you trust that they'll get it done, or will they just use a sharpie to do what has been termed in certain cultures as "pencil-whipping"?  Or using the platform to encourage people to attend their golf clubs, resorts and hotels? When someone in politics says "believe me," I immediately want to run the other way.

And I get less upset by the liar as much as those who enable, support and defend the liar.

No comments: