Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Some internet silliness

Had a friend send me a link to a "screen cleaner."


I also got a humorous campaign plea from a candidate in the BYU MBA student association elections today. Some of these are kind of inside or topical, but some of them will translate for general consumption:

Top Seven Quotes that apply to XXXXXXX, Candidate for XXXXXXX



7) "Do I want to be feared or loved? Um... easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me." -Michael Scott, the Office (Simultaneous fear and love is an admirable goal)


6) "I like the color red because it's a fire. And I see myself as always being on fire." -Arnold Schwarzenegger (Like Arnold, I too consider myself to be "on fire")


5) "My relationship to power and authority is that I'm all for it. People need somebody to watch over them. Ninety-five percent of the people in the world need to be told what to do and how to behave." -Arnold Schwarzenegger (Amen to that)


4) "You bet we might have." --Sen. John Kerry, asked if he would have gone to war against Saddam Hussein if he refused to disarm (I say "you bet we might have" the new building done by the time we come back in the fall).


3) "We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world." -Dan Quayle (under my leadership, we're going to have the best educated MBA students in the Marriott School)


2) "It's not pollution that is hurting the environment, it's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." --Dan Quayle (and it's not the students playing foosball that make the lounge so loud, it's the little plastic guys on the field)


1) "I think we agree, the past is over." -George W. Bush (I had hoped this was true with accounting after the first semester, but now it's back)


I enjoyed those, and reminisced with fondness of my own campaign a couple of years ago for Academic Affairs VP. I successfully ran on the incredibly sophisticated platform of "If you vote for me, I'll give you candy." I used very powerful visual images of my younger son wearing his shark head swim goggles and a droopy diaper warning the voters that the shark would get them if they didn't vote for me.

Yes, that is a child begging for attention from a father watching a football game.....



It was clearly all about the stick and the carrot being used to manipulate the masses. I even used Top Ten lists (yes, multiple times- so maybe a top twenty or more). But then the U.S. Army impeached me and sent me to the sandbox to play.


I get to watch my third MBA student association campaign because I failed to graduate last year. I'm the eternal student on quite a few levels. I'll graduate this year, but will miss walking across the stage- I'm more likely to be walking onto or off of the back end of a C-130 on my way out of the middle East on graduation day. Which is fine. I haven't gone to any of my own graduations since high school. It always seemed so pointless to me.

And how about that war cost ticker?! Just went over $500 billion. Is that a lot of money?

I can't wait to get home and start paying taxes on it- we avoid debt in our family as much as possible. It leaves us better prepared to do our part to reduce the debts incurred by our government. Like a war put on a credit card.

No comments: