Thursday, January 24, 2008

A cogent analysis

We had some academics visit a while ago (I mentioned how one stumped me with a question about CLCs).


One of them has recently, Stephen Biddle, testified before the House Armed Services Committee, and I found his prepared statements to be perhaps the single most even-handed analyses I've seen about what is going on out here.


The only quibble I'd have, and it is just a quibble, is that in his concluding statement he notes the risk that we or any other long-term peacekeeping force would be perceived as occupiers. From what I understand of the culture from study and visits with my Iraqi brethren, if you're not from around here, and you stick around, that necessarily defines you as an occupier. We just need to be perceived as a friendly and helpful occupier.


Great reading, for those who have the interest in the topic.

No comments: