Sunday, January 13, 2008

100 Days

The ever-helpful Center for Army Lessons Learned likes to put out primers and guidance about surviving the first 100 days in combat.

Thankfully, I haven't been in combat, I just work in a fairly quiet combat zone. And thanks and prayers to those warriors among us who are doing that heavy work.

But I have reached the LAST 100 days. Woo-hoo! That still seems like a lot of time, but I'm catching signs that "the end is near." E-mails are circulating: "get your awards and evals done!" "this is the list of gear that you need to have for turn in", "prepare your hand receipts to pass on to your replacement".

Probably the thing that is most entertaining from my perspective is the "ship date." Rumors abound about when who is rotating out, rotating in, etc. Based on all the talk about our coming out, I expect those dates to change an almost infinite number of times between now and whenever we ship out. So I've got 100 days left, give or take about 50 days. How's that for a margin of error? For statistical weenies, does the wide confidence interval make it a "lack of confidence interval"?

No comments: